Today, Chevrolet previewed six of the concepts that it plans to showcase at the 2013 SEMA show which will start on November 5 at the Las Vegas Convention Center. All the concepts are performance-oriented machines and are based on some of the brand’s most popular passenger cars, including the Sonic and all-new Impala.
Alongside there will be a personalized Malibu concept, which features new and enhanced technologies aiming at improved efficiency and personal connectivity for 2014. To name some of the technologies we have stop/start engine technology, new Siri with Eyes Free Mode and Text-to-Voice features allowing hands-free texting.
“Chevrolet’s 2014 passenger car lineup is the strongest and most competitive in the brand’s history, offering customers a wide range of great-looking, great-driving and well-connected choices,” said Chris Perry, vice president, Chevrolet Marketing. “A five-year plan to completely remake Chevy’s car lineup is resonating with customers, who are finding value in the performance, quality and technologies that complement their lifestyles.”
All the SEMA concepts from Chevrolet will feature accessories designed for utmost personalization without comprising on refinement or ride quality. The accessories have been developed by General Motors’ engineers and some of them will be made available from Chevrolet dealers. Chevrolet also advises to get these accessories fitted only by a Chevrolet dealer to maintain the vehicle warranty.
Let us look at the features of the concepts one by one.
Chevrolet Performance Sonic RS concept
It features engine performance, suspension/brakes and appearance upgrades developed by Chevrolet Performance engineers and designed to be installed by Chevrolet dealers.
- A Stage Kit, cold-air induction and a high-flow exhaust system allow the 1.4L turbo engine to produce more power for a more exciting driving experience
- The engine enhancements are complemented by a track-tuned suspension system and higher-performance brake upgrade kit, featuring Wilwood front calipers
- The suspension kit lowers the ride height for a sportier stance
- Chevrolet Performance 18-inch, split-five-spoke wheels complement the lowered look with aggressive style
- Lemon Peel Yellow exterior with blue graphics; tinted headlamps and fog lamps; blue-accented window moldings and rear hatch trim
- Additional exterior accessories, including color-tinted grille trim, headlamp rings and mirror caps are available from Chevrolet dealers and complement custom graphics and other accents that can be easily duplicated by creative owners
- Re-trimmed seats in black leather, with Lark Yellow contrast stitching.
Ricky Carmichael All-Activity Sonic concept
This is not the first time All-Activity Sonic concept will feature at SEMA Show. The 2013 model adds an all-new performance package with parts from Chevrolet Performance. Highlights include:
- Chevrolet Performance 1.4L Turbo Stage Kit with high-flow exhaust
- Chevrolet Performance cold-air induction
- Chevrolet Performance suspension kit with lowered ride height
- Chevrolet Performance brake package with Wilwood front calipers
- Chevrolet Performance 18-inch wheel-and-tire package featuring custom gloss black with green lip
Personalization Sonic concept
Equipped with several performance enhancements, this Victory Red concept represents an all new Sonic that emphasizes largely on personalization. Highlights include:
- Body-color door handles with chrome stripe
- Chrome liftgate and mirror cap trim
- Chevrolet Accessory exterior graphics package
- Chevrolet Accessory door sill plates and all-weather floor mats
- Chevrolet Accessory footwell lighting package and pedal covers
- Kicker® 200-Watt DSP amp with 200-Watt powered subwoofer (also available with Chevrolet MyLink).
Some exterior details will be changed during the SEMA Show, giving the car a different appearance throughout the weeklong convention. It also features:
- Borla performance exhaust
- Chevrolet Performance suspension kit (with lowered ride height)
- Chevrolet Performance brake package with Wilwood front calipers
- Chevrolet Performance 18-inch wheel-and-tire package.
Spark EV Tech Performance concept
This pure-electric urban mini-car uses no gasoline, but its GM-built motor and drive unit is capable of delivering 400 lb-ft of instant torque. It can go from 0 to 60 mph in 7.5 seconds. Additional features:
- Custom exterior color and graphics, a unique backlit Chevrolet “bowtie” emblem in the grille and performance billet aluminum wheels
- Chevrolet Accessory sill plates, floor mats and pedal covers
- Body-color trim plates and green stitching on the shifter boot and steering wheel
- A military-style flip-up “activation switch” on the instrument panel adds a fun, high-performance-oriented touch of style to this plug-in performer
- Lightweight features that enhance performance
Urban Cool Impala concept
The Urban Cool concept is built on the Impala LTZ with custom-painted grille accents, Chevrolet Accessories concept ground effects and Chevrolet Accessories concept 20-inch wheels painted to match the grille accents. The stance of the Impala has been further lowered which enhances the sporty style while the LTZ’s high-intensity discharge headlamps and light-emitting diode, or LED, daytime running lamps give it the appeal it deserves. The inside of the car is painted in high-gloss piano black and anodized low-gloss black which goes in contrast with the Sky Cool Gray leather-trimmed seats.
Malibu LTZ concept
The 2014 Malibu is all set to take on one of the industry’s most competitive segments with greater roominess, greater efficiency and greater connectivity. The Malibu LTZ SEMA concept packs better style with performance-style ground effects and Chevrolet Accessories 19-inch wheels with a Sterling Silver finish. The sound of the 259-hp, 2.0L turbocharged engine is enforced by a Borla exhaust system. A concept Stage Kit and cold-air induction system support for greater performance.
Personalization Cruze Diesel concept
The Cruze Diesel concept delivers a fresh, athletic appeal, thanks to a distinctive ground effects package by 3dCarbon, as well as an updated front fascia and chin spoiler. The car offers 258 lb-ft of torque (350 Nm) on tap and can go from 0-60 mph in 8.6 seconds. On the Inside, KickerAudio components enhance the sound system and an ambient lighting package gives a more pleasant feel. The car is powered by a 2.0L clean turbo-diesel engine that offers an estimated EPA of 46 mpg on the highway which is better than any non-hybrid or gasoline-powered passenger car in America.