The North American International Auto Show has always been a great platform for launching new products and keeping that in mind, Ford has announced the all new F-150 pickup at the exhibition.
The 2015 F-150 is not big on looks but comes with a range of new features one cannot overlook. In brief, the new F-150 gets an all-new high-strength steel frame, high-strength aluminum-alloy body and the Baja 1000 proven 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine. On the features part, the list gets 11 new features including 360-degree camera view, integrated loading ramps stowed in the pickup bed, 400-watt power outlets inside the cab, LED headlights and sideview mirror spotlights, and remote tailgate release.
According to Ford, the new F-150 is the strongest and most durable F-150 ever. Before the truck is put on sale, which is expected to happen later this year, Ford will torture-test the F-150 and even hand it over to select customers for more than 10 million miles, ensuring each truck will serve flawlessly throughout its lifetime.
The 2015 F-150 has been updated with class leading features which are as follows:
- 360-degree camera view, using exterior cameras to create a bird’s-eye view of the truck to help the driver park, maneuver in tight spots and navigate down narrow roads and trails
- Integrated loading ramps, which enable easy loading of ATVs, motorcycles and mowers
- BoxLink™, which is a combination of metal brackets and custom cleats used to secure a variety of accessories in the cargo box, from ramps to storage bins to bed dividers
- LED headlamps and taillamps, which provide excellent nighttime visibility
- Trailer hitch assist, a new rear view camera feature that adds a dynamic line based on steering wheel angle in the display to help customers line up truck and trailer without requiring a spotter or having to get out of the vehicle
- Smart trailer tow module, using an all-new smart trailer tow wiring harness that helps identify and inform the driver of potential trailer connectivity issues, burned or unlit trailer marker lamps, and brake light and trailer battery faults
- Remote tailgate, allowing for the tailgate to be locked, unlocked and released with the key fob – eliminating manual locking and increasing convenience and security. The tailgate also is damped, dropping down, hands-free, to a flat position when opened
- High-wattage power outlets (400 watts, 110 volts) in the cab, allowing drivers to easily charge corded tools, battery chargers or mobile devices on-site or while driving
- LED spotlights on sideview mirrors, which provide powerful, durable and bright lighting around the truck exterior
- Latest EcoBoost® technology in an all-new, even more efficient 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine that features extremely high output and lightweight design
- Next-generation tailgate step, which is now fully integrated inside the tailgate and virtually invisible when not in use
Other available options include new 8-inch LCD productivity screen in the instrument panel, LED lighting embedded in the walls of the cargo box, rear under-seat storage in F-150 Super and Crew cabs, and a Boxside step – now available for the short 5.5-foot box.
As far as the capability is concerned, again Ford ensures that the F-150 remains ahead of its competition. For that matter, the new F-150 equips Second-row inflatable safety belts, Curve Control, Adaptive cruise control, Lane-Keeping System and Blind Spot Information System with cross-traffic alert.
The engine range now covers four different options. New for 2014 is a 2.7-liter EcoBoost with standard Auto Start-Stop and a 3.5-liter V6 engine with twin independent variable camshaft timing. Both the new units join hands with the already available 3.5-liter EcoBoost and 5.0-liter Ti-VCT V8 engines. The Auto Stat/Stop technology helps save fuel by shutting off the engine when the vehicle is at rest, except when it is towing or in four-wheel drive mode.
The EcoBoost engine models will also get standard Active Grille Shutters which is an enhanced engine cooling technology. The new F-150 will be available in five trims: XL, XLT, Lariat, Platinum and King Ranch. And most of the trims will be available with Chrome and Monochromatic appearance packages.