Today, Chevrolet has announced the all new 2015 Chevrolet Colorado which is claimed to be a remarkable step ahead in the mid-sized truck segment. Chevrolet says the 2015 Colorado will real truck capability and versatility to customers who do not require a full-size truck. The new Colorado has the blood of a true Chevy truck and is expected to deliver class-leading performance. It will go on sale in fall 2014 as a 2015 model.
“Our strategy is simple: meet the needs of the broadest possible customer base, and let them choose precisely the right truck to meet their needs,” said Mark Reuss, General Motors executive vice president and president of GM North America. “The all-new Colorado benefits from the solid foundation established by the Silverado, and it reinvents the midsize truck while reinvigorating the segment at the same time.”
The truck will come with two engine options – 2.5 L and 3.6 L, which are already found on other Chevrolet vehicles but have been specifically tuned for Colorado. The 2.5L four cylinder engine is rated at 193 horsepower (146 kW) and 184 lb-ft of torque (253 Nm), with as much as 90 percent of the torque available from 2000 rpm to6200 rpm. The more powerful 3.6L engine puts out 302 horsepower (224 kW) and 270 lb-ft of torque (366 Nm). All the Colorado models come with a six-speed automatic transmission, auto grade braking and a tow/haul mode. Extended cab 2WD WT models powered by the 2.5L engine are also available with a six speed manual transmission.
The 2015 Colorado will be available in the following configurations:
- An extended cab model with a 6-foot bed
- A crew cab with a 5-foot bed
- A crew cab with a 6-foot bed
Being a strong proportion in the mid-sized truck segment, Chevrolet has added a host of innovative solutions for hauling and accessing cargo:
- Standard CornerStep rear bumper design pioneered on the 2014 Silverado
- Available EZ Lift-and-Lower tailgate that uses an internal torsion bar to make raising the tailgate easier with one hand, and a damper for more-controlled lowering
- Standard two-tier loading that allows a platform to effectively split the bed into upper and lower sections, making it easier to haul, store and conceal items such as tools
- Thirteen standard tie-down locations throughout the bed for use with available, movable cargo tie-down rings
- Standard bed rail and tailgate protectors
- Available factory-installed spray-in bed liner.
The inside of the new Colorado is well equipped too, with plenty of comfort and convenience features. With a sculpted headliner that enhances headroom, halo lighting on key controls for easier view and an open area at the front of the center console for easier phone charging, it is confirmed that the cabin designers paid exceptional attention to it.
Other interior highlights include:
- Sculpted door panels that make it easier to enter/exit the vehicle
- Upper-instrument panel storage bin (when not equipped with the uplevel audio system) and large glove box
- Standard center console with room to store a tablet
- Rear under-seat storage.
On safety and connectivity front the new Colorado is well equipped too. It features
- Eight-inch diagonal color touch screen (LT, Z71) and multiple USB drives
- A 3.4-inch diagonal driver information screen in the instrument cluster
- Available next-generation OnStar and MyLink enhancements with gesture recognition and natural language voice recognition
- Available navigation
- Six standard air bags, including head side curtain air bags designed to help keep occupants from being ejected in a crash
- Large rearview mirrors and standard rear-vision camera system for greater visibility
- Available segment-first application of forward collision alert
- Available segment-first application of lane departure warning
- Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with rollover mitigation, trailer sway control, hill start assist and hill descent control (Z71).
Chevrolet will constantly be developing the new Colorado until its production begins sometime in 2014.