There are not many sports cars that actually deliver true track performance on normal city roads and the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Black Series is one of them. As per the tradition, Mercedes-Benz unveils upgraded versions of their cars each year and after bringing the 2013 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Black Series last year, the German automaker is back with the next version of the car, the 2014 SLS AMG Black Series.
This is the fifth model in the Black Series range and comes with a host of new improvements and features that one cannot overlook. In Mercedes-AMG’s words, the 2014 SLS AMG Black Series boasts a mix of breathtaking design, outstanding driving dynamics and uncompromising lightweight construction in line with the AMG Lightweight Performance strategy.
Under the hood of this beautifully designed monster is an AMG developed 6.3-liter V8 engine that generates 622 bhp of max power at 7400 rpm and 468 lb-ft of torque, and gives the car a 0 to 62 mph sprint time of 3.5 seconds. The level of performance offered by the 2014 iteration is notably better from its predecessor, thanks to features like AMG Adaptive Performance Coil-over Suspension, AMG high- performance ceramic two-piece brake system and weight-optimized, forged AMG light-alloy wheels with new sport tires. Additional highlights of the car include electronically-controlled AMG rear-axle differential lock and the AMG SPEEDSHIFT DCT 7-speed sports transmission featuring amazing shift and response times.
“The new SLS AMG Black Series is a perfect study in the one hundred percent transfer of technology and engineering from motorsport to road. We have drawn inspiration from the worldwide success of the SLS AMG GT3 customer sport racing car on both a conceptual and a technological level. Boasting numerous lightweight components and fascinating dynamics, our fifth Black Series model guarantees pure, unadulterated ‘Driving Performance.’ The SLS AMG Black Series is the ultimate choice for fast laps and a highly emotional driving experience,” says Ola Källenius, outgoing Chairman of Mercedes-AMG GmbH
“Fans of high-performance super sports cars will be fascinated by its high-tech package. The basis for passionate performance and supreme driving dynamics is provided by numerous new developments in the engine, transmission, suspension and aerodynamics – also giving top priority to our ‘AMG Lightweight Performance’ strategy. Outstanding efforts in the field of lightweight design have resulted in a curb weight of 3,417 pounds,” notes Tobias Moers, incoming CEO and former Head of Total Vehicle Development and Member of the Board of Mercedes-AMG GmbH.
For 2014, the SLS AMG Black Series also gets a new chassis and suspension and the new developments are listed below:
- AMG Adaptive Performance Suspension with stiffer basic setup and electronically controlled two-stage shocks (Sport, Sport +) for individual adjustment to suit personal driving style
- Coil-over spring suspension allows for adjusting wheel loads to individual race track setups
- Elastokinematics 50 / 42% more rigid (front / rear) for greater stability in turns
- Track width increased by 0.8 / 0.9 inches (front / rear) for added grip
- New front wheel mounts and new front stabilizer tuning for added grip, reduced body roll in fast cornering
- AMG 10-spoke forged alloy wheels, in very lightweight forged design for optimum strength, painted matte black with high-gloss finish, dimensions: 10 x 19 front; 12 x 20 rear. Weight saving: 8.8 pounds
- Newly developed Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 sports tires. 275 / 35 R 19 front and 325 / 30 R 20 rear, for added grip and cornering
- AMG speed-sensitive steering with revised power steering characteristics for optimum steering precision and outstanding control
For a performance boost further, customers will get an optional AMG Aerodynamics package with carbon-fiber components. The package features an adjustable carbon-fiber rear wing in place of the standard wind deflector, aluminum elements on the trunk lid for better downforce, additional carbon-fiber flics on the front skirt and more.
2014 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Black Series Engine Specifications
- Displacement: 6,208 cc
- Bore x stroke: 4.02 x 3.72 inches
- Compression ratio: 11.3 : 1
- Horsepower: 622 hp at 7,400 rpm
- Max. torque: 468 lb-ft at 5,500 rpm
- Max. engine speed: 8,000 rpm
- Engine weight (dry): 452 lbs
- Acceleration 0-60 mph: 3.5 seconds
- Top speed: 196 mph