BUICK has given a luxury class to its upcoming compact crossover - the 2013 Buick Encore – with refreshing interior, advance features and more efficient engine, which will definitely attract a new generation of customers who are going for an compact SUV with the benefits of a Luxury Car. The 2013 Buick Encore has a turbo 4-cylinder Ecotec 1.4 Litre Engine with 6-speed automatic transmission, is capable of generating a horsepower of 138[i.e. 102 kilo-watts] and a max torque of 148 lb.-ft.[i.e. 200 Nm] between 1,850 and 4,900 RPM.
The new Encore engine has several advanced features like Electronically controlled returnless fuel system, Deceleration fuel cut-off, Regulated voltage control and High-efficiency alternator that makes it more fuel efficient than any other crossover from a domestic Automaker. The 2013 Encore has a EPA-estimated fuel efficiency of 25(city) / 33(highway) / 28(combined) miles/gallon on Front Wheel Drive models. One can save $2,100 in fuel as per the EPA estimate by using the Encore over 5 years. Buick claims that 2013 Encore has higher fuel economy as compared to the other domestic Automakers such as the Mini Countryman S (EPA-estimated 25 [city] / 32 [highway] with the automatic transmission) and the Volkswagen Tiguan (EPA-estimated 21 / 26). Encore also has greater combined EPA fuel efficiency than the Ford’s most efficient version of the Escape crossover (26), as well as the Jeep Compass (24).
The 2013 Encore is equipped with advanced acoustic technology that is Active Noise Cancellation Technology – a smart way to maximize the luxury – generally this technology is used in new headphones to reduce noise on various frequencies, on the other hand Encore system specially works on unwanted engine noise by cancelling it using finer notes to pass through the cabin. This gives a luxurious drive experience. It has enough space inside, for this, the existing in-vehicle speakers including a sub-woofer placed in center on the spare tires which reduces the weight and makes it more spacious. The Active noise cancellation is a standard feature in all Encore models which actively delivers noise cancellation in any condition whether the audio system is powered off or not.
The 2013 Encore’s has a unique and premium design which is clearly reflecting from its chrome accents and surrounds, Standard body-color door handles with chrome strips, waterfall grille, stainless steel exhaust tip and portholes on the hood and painted lower panels. The Encore will be available with 9 exterior colors which include a lower accent color: Glacier Blue Metallic, Satin Steel Gray Metallic, Carbon Black Metallic, Ruby Red Metallic, Quicksilver Metallic and Brilliant Blue Metallic (with Dark Argent Metallic lower accent); Cocoa Silver Metallic and Deep Espresso Brown Metallic (with Dark Cocoa Ash lower accent); and White Pearl Tricoat (Satin Nickel Metallic accent).
In the interior color combinations Encore has upscale cloth with leatherette accents in a choice of Ebony or Medium Titanium with Ebony accents; and leather-appointed seats in a choice of Ebony, Medium Titanium with Ebony accents, and Saddle with Cocoa accents. The Ebony or contemporary mix of dark and light tones differentiate the cabin, which is accented with ice-blue ambient lighting and select use of bright chrome with wood-grain trim. The Premium seats of Encore are made by high-density foam for greater comfort on long drives which are tailored in cloth/leatherette or available premium leather. The 60/40 flat-folding at rear seat provides a fold-down armrest with cup holders. Encore is designed by keeping in mind of overall storage and thus it is equipped with eight beverage holders, storage in all four doors, four bins in the dash, pockets in the seat-backs an available bin beneath the passenger seat and bins under the rear load floor around the spare tire. While it provides 18.8 cubic feet[532 liters] of storage behind the split-folding rear seat and 48.4 cubic feet[1,371 liters] with the rear seat folded.
Photo Gallery of 2013 Buick Encore
Encore is available in Front-Wheel Drive and All-Wheel Drive variants in 4 trim levels: Encore (1SB), Encore Convenience (1SD), Encore Leather (1SL) and Encore Premium (1SN).
Encore Convenience (1SD) – Adds Convenience package : electrochromic inside rearview mirror, remote start, dual automatic climate control, 120V outlet and fog lamps.
Encore Leather (1SL) – Adds Leather package: leather-appointed seating,heated steering wheel, power passenger seat, heated seats, driver memory package that includes driver presets for seat position, outside mirrors and climate control.
Encore Premium (1SN) – Adds Rainsense wipers, premium Bose seven-speaker audio system, front and rear park assist, Forward Collision Alert, Lane Departure Warning, cargo net and cargo mat.
Options include the premium Bose audio system (Encore Convenience and Leather); GPS-enabled navigation (Encore Convenience, Leather and Premium); 18-inch chromed aluminum wheels (Encore Convenience, Leather and Premium); sunroof (Encore Convenience, Leather and Premium); and an oil pan heater.
Available dealer accessories include all-weather floor mats, carpeted cargo mat, cargo tray, front and rear splash guards, roof rack cross rails and roof-mounted cargo and bike carriers.
Encore’s Available and Standard features :
The base model - Encore (1SB) is loaded with the standard features:
- Ten standard air bags, including side curtain and knee air bags
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control
- Rearview camera
- QuietTuning with Buick’s first use of Bose Active Noise Cancellation technology
- Four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes with electronic brake force distribution
- OnStar ( with six months of Directions and Connections service)
- Electronic cruise control
- Ice-blue interior ambient lighting
- Upscale cloth seating with leatherette accents
- Heated outside rearview mirrors
- Six-way, power-adjustable driver’s seat with power lumbar adjustment
- Power windows with driver express up/down and front/rear passenger express down
- Seven-inch, high-resolution, full-color display radio with Buick IntelliLink, AM/FM/Sirius XM (three months of service) SiriusXM Travel Link and Tune Select (requires subscription), stereo with CD player, auxiliary input jack, six speakers, USB port and Bluetooth wireless connectivity for select phones
- Leather-wrapped, three-spoke steering wheel with locking feature to deter theft
- Color-keyed, carpeted front and rear floor mats
- Rear cargo cover
- Roof-mounted luggage rails
- Dual gloveboxes
- Theft-deterrent system
- Variable-effort electric power steering
- Eighteen-inch painted cast aluminum wheels
- Compact spare tire with mechanical jack.
Encore’s QuietTuning features :
- Sound-absorbing materials in the cabin, under the hood and in the wheel house liners
- Quiet-tuned 18-inch Continental tires
- Aero-optimized outside mirrors
- Ultra-quiet engine alternator
- Acoustic-laminated windshield and thicker, 5mm side window glass
- Foam baffle insulation at the opening of body structure cavities.
- Seven-inch, high-resolution full-color color display radio
- Bluetooth with hands-free (for phone calls) and audio-streaming protocol support
- Address book download
- USB port
- Auxiliary audio input port
- Redundant steering wheel controls
- Enhanced voice recognition and voice command control
- AM/FM/Audio CD/MP3 player
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio (with three months of service), SiriusXM Travel Link and SiriusXM Tune Select (requires XM subscription)
- Supports playback of MP3 files stored on flash memory drives.
Encore’s Safety features :
The Encore’s exterior body frame is made up like a protective cage around the passenger compartment, with 66 percent of the structure composed of high-strength steels, including ultra-high-strength steel, which gives total protection with 10 standard air bags inside the car. The Airbags are provided in:
- Driver and front passenger frontal air bags
- Driver and front passenger knee air bags
- Front and rear thorax air bags (all outboard positions)
- Side curtain air bags for front and rear outboard passengers.
Encore is provided with radar-based technology which assist in avoiding collision and safe occupants in case one occurs.
This system for avoiding collision includes:
- Standard rearview camera
- Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control
- Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS and electronic brake force distribution
- Cornering brake control and brake assist
- Available all-wheel-drive system that seamlessly shifts power to the rear wheels when required for better traction and handling
- Available Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning
- Available front and rear park assist.
Encore’s safety and security features also include exclusive OnStar technology, which consists of the Advanced Crash Response System and emergency assistance.
Technical Specification of 2013 Buick Encore:
|Models:||2013 Buick Encore (Encore, Convenience, Leather and Premium)|
|Body style / driveline:||small luxury crossover, front-engine/front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive|
|EPA vehicle class:||sport utility vehicle|
|Key competitors:||Volkswagen Tiguan, Mini Countryman|
|Manufacturing locations:||Bupyeong , South Korea (for the U.S.)|
|1.4L turbocharged DOHC I-4|
|Displacement (cu. in. / cc):||83.2 / 1364|
|Bore and stroke (in. / mm):||2.85 x 3.25 / 72.5 x 82.6|
|Block material:||cast iron|
|Cylinder head material:||cast aluminum|
|Valvetrain:||dual overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder, double continuously cam phaser intake and exhaust (DCVCP)|
|Ignition system:||coil on plug|
|Fuel delivery:||sequential multi-port fuel injection with electronic throttle control|
(hp / kW @ rpm):
|138 / 102 @ 4900*|
(lb.-ft. / Nm @ rpm):
|148 / 200 @ 1850*|
|Recommended fuel:||regular unleaded|
|Max engine speed (rpm):||6500|
|Emissions controls:||close-coupled and underfloor catalytic converters; pre- and post-oxygen sensors|
|EPA estimated fuel economy
(city / hwy / combined):
|25 / 33 / 28 (FWD)
23 / 30 / 26 (AWD)
|HydraMatic 6T40 6-speed automatic|
|Gear ratios (:1)||6.14 spread|
|MacPherson strut with coil-over spring; direct-acting stabilizer bar; steel 6-point rigid attachment front cross member|
|Rear:||compound crank (torsion beam); coil springs with twin-tube shock absorbers|
|Steering type:||column-mounted electric power steering; rack-and-pinion gear (straight ratio)|
|Steering wheel turns, lock-to-lock:||2.72|
|Turning circle, curb-to-curb
(ft / m):
|36.7 / 11.2|
|four-wheel disc with ventilated front discs and solid rear discs; standard ABS|
|Brake rotor diameter x thickness (in / mm)||front: 11.8 x 1.0 / 300 x 26, ventilated discs
rear: 10.6 x 0.5 / 268 x 12, solid discs
|Anti-lock braking system:||Mando MGH60 Chassis Controls: ABS / TCS / ESC with rollover mitigation|
|18 x 7-inch painted aluminum (std.)
18 x 7-inch chromed aluminum (opt.)
|Tires:||P215/55R18 AL3 blackwall|
Wheelbase (in / mm):
|100.6 / 2555|
|Overall length (in / mm):||168.5 / 4280|
|Overall width (in / mm):||69.9 / 1775|
|Overall height (in / mm):||65.2 / 1658|
|Track (in / mm):||front: 60.6 / 1539
rear: 60.6 / 1539
|Curb weight (lb / kg):||FWD: 3190 / 1447
AWD: 3309 / 1501
|Minimum ground clearance (in. / mm):||front: 6.2 / 157
rear: 6.2 / 157
|2 / 3|
|Headroom (in / mm):||front: 39.6 / 1006
rear: 38.8 / 985
|Legroom (in / mm):||front: 40.8 / 1037
rear: 35.8 / 908
|Shoulder room (in / mm):||front: 54.1 / 1374
rear: 52.5 / 1334
|Hip room (in / mm):||front: 51.7 / 1313
rear: 50.1 / 1273
|Cargo volume (cu ft / L):||18.8 / 532.4 (behind rear seat)
48.4 / 1371 (rear seat folded)
Fuel tank (gal / L):
|14 / 53|
|Engine oil (qt / L):||4.75 / 4.5|
|Cooling system (qt / L):||6.9 / 6.5|
|GVWR (lb / kg):||FWD: 4255 / 1930
AWD: 4374 / 1984